8.0, UTF8, and CLIENT_ENCODING

От Paul Ramsey
Тема 8.0, UTF8, and CLIENT_ENCODING
Дата
Re: 8.0, UTF8, and CLIENT_ENCODING  (PFC <lists@peufeu.com>)
Список pgsql-general
I have a small database (PgSQL 8.0, database encoding UTF8) that folks
are inserting into via a web form. The form itself is declared
ISO-8859-1 and the prior to inserting any data, pg_client_encoding is
set to LATIN1.

Most of the high-bit characters are correctly translated from LATIN1 to
UTF8. So for e-accent-egu I see the two-byte UTF8 value in the database.

Sometimes, in their wisdom, people cut'n'paste information out of MSWord
and put that in the form. Instead of being mapped to 2-byte UTF8
high-bit equivalents, they are going into the database directly as
one-byte values > 127. That is, as illegal UTF8 values.

When I try to dump'n'restore this database into PgSQL 8.2, my data can't
made the transit.

Firstly, is this "kinda sorta" encoding handling expected in 8.0, or did
I do something wrong?

Secondly, anyone know any useful tools to pipe a stream through to strip
out illegal UTF8 bytes, so I can pipe my dump through that rather than
hand editing it?

Thanks,

Paul

--