Re: Memory settings, vm.overcommit, how to get it really safe?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Memory settings, vm.overcommit, how to get it really safe?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hannes Dorbath wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
>> What distro / kernel version of linux are you running?  We have a
>> similar issue with late model hardware and RHEL4 recently here at work,
>> where our workstations are running out of memory.  They aren't running
>> postgresql, they're java dev workstations and it appears to be a RHEL4
>> on 64 bit problem, so that's why I ask.
>>

> Linux 2.6.21-gentoo #2 SMP x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5130 GNU/Linux

I wonder if you could try it with the Uniprocessor kernel and see if
your problem goes away.

FYI, the machines we're having the problem with are RHEL4 with a kernel of:

Linux 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 16:36:54 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Note that 2.6.9-55 in RHEL speak is probably closer to 2.6.21 than
2.6.9, since they back port tons of stuff, but keep the same version number.