Re: Not ready for 8.3

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Not ready for 8.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>> On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 04:52:16PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>
>>> This is what happens with the Linux kernel.  They have hundreds of
>>> developers getting their hands dirty during a previous period.  Then
>>> 2.6.20 is released; the 2.6.21 "merge window" opens, and all sort of
>>> patches are flooded in.
>>
>> I hasten to point out that the Linux kernel has also had several
>> "stable" releases with huge bugs --
>
> /me fondly remembers kernel 2.4.

We keep focusing on process. I am on record as saying we can improve our
processes, but the fact is our major immediate problem is person-power,
not process. We need more qualified reviewers. Qualified means (to me,
at least) you have to have done enough visible PostgreSQL hacking that a
committer can reasonably place some level of trust in your review,
thereby saving some time. That's not to say that others can't or
shouldn't do reviews - every little bit helps, but if Freda Bloggs comes
along with a review of some new, large, feature, she isn't helping to
make the process shorter, although she might be helping to make it more
robust.

cheers

andrew