Re: Lack of urgency in 8.3 reviewing

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Lack of urgency in 8.3 reviewing
Дата
Re: Lack of urgency in 8.3 reviewing  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>)
Список pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> In talking to people who are assigned to review patches or could review
> patches, I often get the reply, "Oh, yea, I need to do that".
>
> Folks, we are six weeks into feature freeze and have made slim progress
> on getting patches reviewed and applied.  As I stated earlier, we are
> now looking at August/September for beta, but that might be pushed back
> even later if we don't get more progress.
>
> It seems there is a lot of reliance on Tom to get the patches applied,
> but I don't think that is fair or reasonable.  I think we need more
> urgency on the part of everyone to make faster progress.  Patch
> reviewers and committers need to take more initiative to get things done
> rather than wait for some external force to prompt them.

I at least feel uncomfortable about reviewing code that deals with areas
I have not touched much, and where I feel the author probably knows a
lot more than me. The chance of my catching errors/problems in such a
case is much lower.

Looking at the list on the wiki, that rules out most of the things that
don't have a reviewer already listed. I can look at the following items:

. UTF8 text matching performance improvements
. concurrent psql
. PL/PSM

If Tom gets around to per-function search paths I'll look at that too,
but I don't actually recall seeing a patch for that.

cheers

andrew