Re: Seq scans roadmap

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Seq scans roadmap
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 22:59 +0100, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> For comparison, here's the test results with vanilla CVS HEAD:
>>
>>   copy-head         | 00:06:21.533137
>>   copy-head         | 00:05:54.141285
>
> I'm slightly worried that the results for COPY aren't anywhere near as
> good as the SELECT and VACUUM results. It isn't clear from those numbers
> that the benefit really is significant.

Agreed, the benefit isn't clear.

> Are you thinking that having COPY avoid cache spoiling is a benefit just
> of itself? Or do you see a pattern of benefit from your other runs?

I think it's worth having just to avoid cache spoiling. I wouldn't
bother otherwise, but since we have the infrastructure for vacuum and
large seqscans, we might as well use it for COPY as well.

> (BTW what was wal_buffers set to? At least twice the ring buffer size,
> hopefully).

Good question. [checks]. wal_buffers was set to 128KB. I tried raising
it to 1MB, but it didn't make any difference.