Re: Pattern Matching - Range of Letters

От William Garrison
Тема Re: Pattern Matching - Range of Letters
Дата
Список pgsql-general
That won't work if you have a value "Anz" in there.  It would be in the
gap between An and Am.

create table test (test text);
insert into test values ('A');
insert into test values ('b');
insert into test values ('c');
insert into test values ('d');
insert into test values ('e');
insert into test values ('Ab');
insert into test values ('Ac');
insert into test values ('Amz');
insert into test values ('Az');

select * from test where test between 'A' and 'Am';
"A"
"Ab"
"Ac"

select * from test where test between 'An' and 'Bc';
"Az"

I wouldn't use between in this case.  I'd suggest this:
select * from test where test >= 'A' and test <'Am';
"A"
"Ab"
"Ac"

select * from test where test >= 'Am' and test <'Bc';
"Amz"
"Az"

The end will be tricky because ""zzzz is not < "zz" so you will need the
last select to be

select * from test where test >= 'Yi';

The beginning will be tricky too if you allow things that come before A
such as 0-9 or spaces.