Re: Replication for PG 8 recommendations

От David Wall
Тема Re: Replication for PG 8 recommendations
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 14:40 -0700, David Wall wrote:
Is there a "preferred" replication system for PG 8 db users?  Obviously,
we're looking for robustness, ease of operations/installation, low
latency and efficient with system and network resources, with an active
open source community being preferred.
Jeff Davis wrote:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/high-availability.html
Thanks.  I've seen the options and was hoping for grunt-level realities.  Many projects seem to have fallen by the wayside over time.

My first impression was towards a Slony-I type solution, but I need large objects and would prefer schema updates to be automatic.  I was hoping to hear back on any pitfalls or preferences or "how I'd do it if I could do it again" type stories.  We mostly need it for disaster recovery since we're looking to improve upon our current nightly backup/syncs in which we pg_dump the database, SCP it to the backup, then pg_restore on the backup.  It's possible WAL copying will do it, too, but don't know if people find this workable or not.

David