Re: pgsql: Make heap TID a tiebreaker nbtree index column.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pgsql: Make heap TID a tiebreaker nbtree index column.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 10:13 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> 1a seems a bit ambitious but maybe it's worth doing, considering
>> that right now there's a non-negligible chance of OOM if you
>> try to drop a role that owns a huge number of objects, or just
>> plain failure due to the stringinfo buffer for the message getting
>> past MaxAllocSize.  Sending a gigabyte-sized message to the server
>> log could be pretty unfriendly in some contexts, too.

> All of these options seem acceptable. However, the problem is unlikely
> to get any worse, so going to the trouble of option 1 or 1a might not
> be the best use of time.

Yeah.  After thinking a bit more, the OOM hazard is probably pretty
far-fetched --- even a role owning hundreds of thousands of objects
wouldn't accumulate more than a small number of megabytes of DETAIL.
You could still argue that sending such a message to the server log
is a bad idea, perhaps, but I'm willing to let it go until we see
actual field complaints about it.

So that means that the de-revert is probably the best option for
now.  Will you do the honors?

Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Make heap TID a tiebreaker nbtree index column.
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Make heap TID a tiebreaker nbtree index column.