Re: Heap page diagnostic functions

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Heap page diagnostic functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> Any suggestions? pgdiagnostics?
>
>> Yes, I like "diagnostics", or "internals".  I just think forensics isn't
>> going to be understood by the average native English speaker, let alone
>> non-English speakers.
>
> "diagnostics" is a two-dollar word also.  It might be a bit more widely
> known than "forensics", but it's longer and harder to spell.  Not that
> I have any great suggestions to make.  Maybe "pgtestfuncs"?

I thought about pgdebugfuncs myself at first. But that's so generic and
pgtestfuncs even more so. Diagnostics is pretty good, that word is in
use in other languages as well as a medical term, so it's meaning would
be clear to a lot of people even if they've never encountered the
English word before.

Besides, the audience for these functions is quite narrow: people
working on PostgreSQL internals, so I don't think the language issue
matters that much.