Re: elog(FATAL) vs shared memory

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: elog(FATAL) vs shared memory
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> 2) if a SIGTERM happens to arrive while btbulkdelete is running,
> the next CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS will do elog(FATAL), causing elog.c
> to do proc_exit(0), leaving the vacuum still recorded as active in
> the shared memory array maintained by _bt_start_vacuum/_bt_end_vacuum.
> The PG_TRY block in btbulkdelete doesn't get a chance to clean up.

I skimmed through all users of PG_TRY/CATCH in the backend to check if
there's other problems like that looming. There's one that looks
dangerous in pg_start_backup() in xlog.c. forcePageWrites flag in shared
memory is cleared in a PG_CATCH block. It's not as severe, though, as it
can be cleared manually by calling pg_stop_backup(), and only leads to
degraded performance.

> (3) eventually, either we try to re-vacuum the same index or
> accumulation of bogus active entries overflows the array.
> Either way, _bt_start_vacuum throws an error, which btbulkdelete
> PG_CATCHes, leading to_bt_end_vacuum trying to re-acquire the LWLock
> already taken by _bt_start_vacuum, meaning that the process hangs up.
> And then so does anything else that needs to take that LWLock...

I also looked for other occurances of point (3), but couldn't find any,
so I guess we're now safe from it.

> Point (3) is already fixed in CVS, but point (2) is a lot nastier.
> What it essentially says is that trying to clean up shared-memory
> state in a PG_TRY block is unsafe: you can't be certain you'll
> get to do it.  Now this is not a big deal during normal SIGTERM or
> SIGQUIT database shutdown, because we're going to abandon the shared
> memory segment anyway.  However, if we ever want to support individual
> session kill via SIGTERM, it's a problem.  Even if we were not
> interested in someday considering that a supported feature, it seems
> that dealing with random SIGTERMs is needed for robustness in at least
> some environments.

Agreed. We should do our best to be safe from SIGTERMs, even if we don't
consider it supported.

> AFAICS, there are basically two ways we might try to approach this:
>
> Plan A: establish the rule that you mustn't try to clean up shared
> memory state in a PG_CATCH block.  Anything you need to do like that
> has to be handled by an on_shmem_exit hook function, so it will be
> called during a FATAL exit.  (Or maybe you can do it in PG_CATCH for
> normal ERROR cases, but you need a backing on_shmem_exit hook to
> clean up for FATAL.)
>
> Plan B: change the handling of FATAL errors so that they are thrown
> like normal errors, and the proc_exit call happens only when we get
> out to the outermost control level in postgres.c.  This would mean
> that PG_CATCH blocks get a chance to clean up before the FATAL exit
> happens.  The problem with that is that a non-cooperative PG_CATCH
> block might think it could "recover" from the error, and then the exit
> does not happen at all.  We'd need a coding rule that PG_CATCH blocks
> *must* re-throw FATAL errors, which seems at least as ugly as Plan A.
> In particular, all three of the external-interpreter PLs are willing
> to return errors into the external interpreter, and AFAICS we'd be
> entirely at the mercy of the user-written Perl or Python or Tcl code
> whether it re-throws the error or not.
>
> So Plan B seems unacceptably fragile.  Does anyone see a way to fix it,
> or perhaps a Plan C with a totally different idea?  Plan A seems pretty
> ugly but it's the best I can come up with.

Yeah, plan A seems like the way to go.