Re: elog(FATAL) vs shared memory

От Stuart Bishop
Тема Re: elog(FATAL) vs shared memory
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Stuart Bishop <stuart.bishop@canonical.com> writes:
>> After a test is run, the test harness kills any outstanding connections so
>> we can drop the test database. Without this, a failing test could leave open
>> connections dangling causing the drop database to block.
>
> Just to make it perfectly clear: we don't consider SIGTERMing individual
> backends to be a supported operation (maybe someday, but not today).
> That's why you had to resort to plpythonu to do this.  I hope you don't
> have anything analogous in your production databases ...

No - just the test suite. It seems the only way to terminate any open
connections, which is a requirement for hooking PostgreSQL up to a test
suite or any other situation where you need to drop a database *now* rather
than when your clients decide to disconnect (well... unless we refactor to
start a dedicated postgres instance for each test, but our overheads are
already pretty huge).

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart.bishop@canonical.com>   http://www.canonical.com/
Canonical Ltd.                                http://www.ubuntu.com/