Re: Bug in UTF8-Validation Code?

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: Bug in UTF8-Validation Code?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Albe Laurenz wrote:
> What I suggest (and what Oracle implements, and isn't CHR() and ASCII()
> partly for Oracle compatibility?) is that CHR() and ASCII()
> convert between a character (in database encoding) and
> that database encoding in numeric form.

Looking at Oracle documentation, it appears that you get different
behavior from CHR(X [USING NCHAR_CS]) depending on whether you call it
with the argument USING NCHAR_CS.  Oracle 9i and higher have an
additional function called NCHR(X) which is supposed to be the same as
CHR(X USING NCHAR_CS).

On http://www.oraclehome.co.uk/chr-function.htm it says that "To use
UTF8, you specify using nchar_cs in the argument list".  Does this mean
that CHR(X) behaves as Tom Lane wants, and NCHR(X) behaves as Albe
Laurenz wants?  Vice versa?

I'm not saying that Oracle compatibility is paramount.  But if we can
get compatibility and a reasonable implementation at the same time, that
seems like a bonus.

Once again, I don't have Oracle installed and cannot test this :(

mark