Re: Function with default value not replacing old definition of the function

От Rushabh Lathia
Тема Re: Function with default value not replacing old definition of the function
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
Rushabh Lathia wrote:
Hi,

Testcase: (8.4 CVS head)
====================

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION myfunc(y int)
RETURNS INTEGER AS $$
  select  100;
$$ language sql;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION myfunc(y int, x integer DEFAULT 100)
RETURNS INTEGER AS $$
  select  200;
$$ language sql;

select myfunc(10);

 myfunc
----------
     100
(1 row)

When create the same function again by added one default value, while calling the function old function getting called.

It seems that, function with defval not making any sense, if we want to call the new function then we need to pass defval as well.

Hmm, good point, but I'm not sure that replacing the old function is always right.  For example, someone recently requested being able to say

select myfunc(10, DEFAULT);

Hmm, good point.

so there would be some value to having both variants.

Do you have any comparisons with other systems (Oracle?) or other programming languages?

Yes  Oracle replace the old definition of the function with the new one.

--
Rushabh Lathia
www.EnterpriseDB.com

Сообщение: Re: Function with default value not replacing old definition of the function
Сообщение: Re: Function with default value not replacing old definition of the function