Re: scalablility problem

От: Xiaoning Ding
Тема: Re: scalablility problem
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

scalablility problem  (Xiaoning Ding <-state.edu>, )
 Re: scalablility problem  ("Dave Dutcher", )
 Re: scalablility problem  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: scalablility problem  (Xiaoning Ding <-state.edu>, )
   Re: scalablility problem  (Scott Marlowe, )
   Re: scalablility problem  (Ron Mayer, )
    Re: scalablility problem  (Xiaoning Ding <-state.edu>, )
     Re: scalablility problem  (Dave Cramer, )
 Re: scalablility problem  (Scott Marlowe, )
  Re: scalablility problem  (Xiaoning Ding <-state.edu>, )
   Re: scalablility problem  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
    Re: scalablility problem  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: scalablility problem  (Xiaoning Ding <-state.edu>, )
 Re: scalablility problem  (Christopher Browne, )
  Re: scalablility problem  (Guido Neitzer, )
   Re: scalablility problem  (Michael Stone, )

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <> writes:
>>> I use RHEL 4. I can not understand how the scalability related with
>>> shared memory?
>
>> It isn't RHEL4 and shared memory. It is PostgreSQL and shared memory.
>> Things have changed with PostgreSQL since 7.3 (7.3 is really god awful
>> old) that allow it to more effectively access shared memory and thus
>> provide better performance.
>
> Some specifics:
>
> * bufmgr algorithms redesigned to allow larger number of shared buffers
> to be used effectively
>
> * bufmgr redesigned to not have a single lock for management of all
> shared buffers; likewise for lockmgr
>
> * lots of marginal tweaks such as paying attention to cache line
> alignment of "hot" shared data structures
>
> I'm probably forgetting some things but I think the bufmgr and lockmgr
> changes were the biggest improvements in this area.
>
>             regards, tom lane
That is very helpful. Thanks!

Xiaoning