Re: strange performance regression between 7.4 and 8.1

От Craig A. James
Тема Re: strange performance regression between 7.4 and 8.1
Дата
Re: strange performance regression between 7.4 and 8.1
Список pgsql-performance
Rodrigo Madera wrote:
> I would just like to note here that this is an example of inefficient
> strategy.
>
> We could all agree (up to a certain economical point) that Alex saved
> the most expensive one thousand dollars of his life.
>
> I don't know the financial status nor the size of your organization, but
> I'm sure that you have selected the path that has cost you more.
>
> In the future, an investment on memory for a (let's say) rather small
> database should be your first attempt.

Alex may have made the correct, rational choice, given the state of accounting at most corporations.  Corporate
accountingpractices and the budgetary process give different weights to cash and labor.  Labor is fixed, and can be
grosslywasted without (apparently) affecting the quarterly bottom line.  Cash expenditures come directly off profits.

It's shortsighted and irrational, but nearly 100% of corporations operate this way.  You can waste a week of your time
andnobody complains, but spend a thousand dollars, and the company president is breathing down your neck.

When we answer a question on this forum, we need to understand that the person who needs help may be under irrational,
butreal, constraints, and offer appropriate advice.  Sure, it's good to fight corporate stupidity, but sometimes you
justwant to get the system back online.

Craig