Re: compact flash disks?

От Carlos Moreno
Тема Re: compact flash disks?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

> Much better to use flash RAM for read heavy applications.
> Even there you have to be careful that seek performance, not
> throughput, is what is gating your day to day performance with those
> tables.

Isn't precisely there where Flash disks would have *the* big advantage??

I mean, access time is severely held down by the *mechanical* movement of
the heads to the right cylinder on the disk --- that's a brutally large
amount of
time compared to anything else happening on the computer  (well, floppy
disks aside, and things like trying-to-break-128-bit-encryption  aside
:-)).

Or are these Flash disks so slow that they compare to the HD's latency
figures?

Carlos