Re: PROXY protocol support

От Julien Riou
Тема Re: PROXY protocol support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On May 19, 2019 5:59:04 PM GMT+02:00, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>* Julien Riou (julien@riou.xyz) wrote:
>> Nowadays, PostgreSQL is often used behind proxies. Some are
>PostgreSQL
>> protocol aware (Pgpool, PgBouncer), some are pure TCP (HAProxy). From
>> the database instance point of view, all clients come from the proxy.
>>
>> There are two major problems with this topology:
>>
>> * It neutralizes the host based authentication. Every client shares
>> the same source. Either we allow this source or not but we cannot
>allow
>> clients on a more fine-grained basis, or not by the IP address.
>
>You can instead have the IP-based checking done at the pooler.
>
>> * It makes debugging harder. If we have a DDL or a slow query logged,
>we
>> cannot use the source to identify who is responsible.
>
>Protocol-level poolers are able to do this, and pgbouncer does (see
>application_name_add_host).
>
>> On one hand, we can move the authentication and logging mechanisms to
>> PostgreSQL based proxies but they will never be as complete as
>> PostgreSQL itself. And they don't have features like HTTP health
>checks
>> to redirect trafic to nodes (health, role, whatever behind the URL).
>On
>> the other hand, those features are not implemented at all because
>they
>> don't know the PostgreSQL protocol, they simply forward requests.
>>
>> In the HTTP reverse proxies world, there's a "dirty hack" to identify
>> the source IP address: add an HTTP header "X-Forwared-For" to the
>> request. It's the destination duty to do whatever they want with this
>> information. With this feature in mind, someone from HAProxy has
>> implemented this mechanism at the protocol level. It's called the
>PROXY
>> protocol.
>
>Someone from HAProxy could certainly implement something similar by
>having HAProxy understand PostgreSQL's protocol.
>
>> With this piece of logic at the beginning of the protocol, we could
>> implement a totally transparent proxy and benefit from the great
>> features of PostgreSQL regarding clients. Note that MariaDB support
>the
>> PROXY protocol in MaxScale (proxy) and MariaDB Server in recent
>> versions.
>
>pgbouncer is already a transparent proxy that understands the PG
>protocol, and, even better, it has support for transaction-level
>pooling
>(as well as connection-level), which is really critical for larger PG
>deployments as PG backend startup is (relatively) expensive.
>
>> PS: I've already sent this message to a wrong mailing list. Stephen
>> Frost said it's implemented in pgbouncer but all I can find is an
>open
>> issue: https://github.com/pgbouncer/pgbouncer/issues/241.
>
>That would be some *other* proxy system (Amazon's ELB) that apparently
> [...]

It could be proprietary Amazon load balancers I don't have experience with, or simple HAProxy coupled with a Patroni
HTTPAPI to tell if a backend is healthy or not.

The PgBouncer approach is interesting. I'm already using the application name as a workaround to identify containerized
applicationsbut didn't used it for setting the source IP.

If we take a look at the MariaDB implementation, they check for errors in the startup packet then run the PROXY
protocoldecoding then return a real error if it doesn't work. As our bouncers are all behind a pool of HAProxy, and if
weconsider PgBouncer as a trusted extension of PostgreSQL, maybe implementing it in PgBouncer first will be easier.

Thanks for your insightful comments.
Julien