Re: [kris@obsecurity.org: Progress on scaling of FreeBSD on 8 CPU systems]

От Arjen van der Meijden
Тема Re: [kris@obsecurity.org: Progress on scaling of FreeBSD on 8 CPU systems]
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 5-3-2007 21:38 Tom Lane wrote:
> Keep in mind that Arjen's test exercises some rather narrow scenarios;
> IIRC its performance is mostly determined by some complicated
> bitmap-indexscan cases.  So that "30% slower" bit certainly doesn't
> represent an across-the-board figure.  As best I can tell, the decisions
> the planner happened to be making in late June were peculiarly nicely
> suited to his test, but not so much for other cases.

True, its not written as a database-comparison-test, but as a
platform-comparison test. As I showed you back then, there where indeed
querytypes faster on the final version (I still have that database of
executed queries on dev and 8.2 rc1), especially after your three
patches. Still, its a pitty that both the general performance and
scalability seem to be worse on these platforms.

Best regards,

Arjen