Re: To Postgres or not

От Tadej Kanizar
Тема Re: To Postgres or not
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I've been using MySql for a long time, and have just recently moved to
PostgreSql (currently I have a few projects already running on postgresql)..
I have to say I prefer PostgreSql over MySql. One major factor in this is
the price (as mysql isn't free for commercial projects).
I can't really tell you to choose PostgreSql over Mysql because you might
just like MySql better .. my advice is - try them both and then decide.

Regards,
Tadej

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Ted Slate
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 7:17 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] To Postgres or not

Hello Everyone,

I considering moving a product to Solaris/Linux and trying to find a good
DB.  Oracle is out due to cost so as far as i know the only reasonable
alternatives are Postgres or Codebase or MySQL.  Does anyone here have any
experience using Codebase or MySql?  If I stick with a true RDBMS then
Codebase is out.  So that leaves Postgres and MySQL.  I'm very used to all
the comforts of Oracle so I think Postgres stacks up better but maybe some
veterans could shed some light.

In other words, is Postgres really that much better than MySQL and/or the
other way around?

Also, in my searches I ran across an company called EnterpriseDB and another
like it.  Basically they offer Postgres support.  So I'm a little concerned
that I'm just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Thanks