Re: which Xeon processors don't have the context switching problem

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: which Xeon processors don't have the context switching problem
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 02:05:57PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
>>> In searching the archives, I can't find any specific info indentifying
>>> which Xeon processors don't have this problem.
>> AFAIK the cut-off point is at the Woodcrests. They are overall much better
>> suited to PostgreSQL than the older Xeons were.
>>
>> It's slightly unfortunate that AMD and Intel cling to the Opteron and Xeon
>> names even though they're making significant architecture changes, but that's
>> life, I guess.
>
> AFAIR Intel has been calling their server processors Xeon since Pentium
> Pro's, at least.

Almost. Xeon was the new name for the "Pro" series. Instead of Pentium
II Pro, we got Pentium II Xeon. The whole Pentium Pro line was a server
line, which is why initial Pentium-II CPUs were significantly slower for
server apps than the much older ppro (which still runs pg at a
reasonable speed if you have enough of them and a low budget, btw)

//Magnus