Re: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x00

От Ken Johanson
Тема Re: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x00
Дата
Re: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x00  (Tore Halset <halset@pvv.ntnu.no>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
Oliver Jowett wrote:
> James Im wrote:
>
>> I've got another problem. I sometimes get the following SQLException
>> when doing an insert:
>>
>> ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x00
>
> You're trying to insert a string which contains a '\0' character. The
> server can't handle strings containing embedded NULs, as it uses C-style
> string termination internally.

At least on other servers/drivers I believe nulls are supported (and
should be according to some spec) (The only special-meaning char is
single quote).

I'm wondering how the binary protocol works insofar as handling the NULL
byte; does it precede it with a backslash? I'm wondering if this would
be possible for the String conversion as well -- just for sake of
consistency with other DBs (and since some API inevitable expect users
to send binary data through a char-sequence interface)