Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?

От bubblboy
Тема Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?
Дата
Ответ на Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?  ("Andrew Hammond" <andrew.george.hammond@gmail.com>)
Ответы Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Список pgsql-docs

http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/install-upgrading.html

 >> > I think that would be a good place to add more text.  What additional
 >> > text do we need?  Something about how you are less likely to hit a new
 >> > bug if you minor upgrade than if you stay on an older release?
 >>
 >> Something about how we put only critical fixes in back branches, and not
 >> new features. How we *really* recommend that people should always be on
 >> the latest release in a branch. How we will never (knowingly) change the
 >> behaviour of anything in a back branch (without being *very* clear in
 >> the release notes of what and why). More focus on how easy that part is.
 >>
 >> Mainly, I think people don't upgrade because (a) they don't know what
 >> they gain, and (b) they're scared something will break. We need to
 >> counter those two arguments.
 >
 > I think this exactly defines what I'm looking for. The most basic
 > approach to risk management is "if it works, don't change it". What
 > I'm looking for is something with which to convince people that the
 > risk of breakage is so low that it's outweighed by the risk of
 > remaining exposed to bugs which haven't caused them problems yet.
 >
 > Andrew

There is one thing I don't understand in this whole discussion; this
upgrading, it is not specific to PostgreSQL, is it? Is there not a page
somewhere on the web that already extensively discusses this issue, no
matter what the program is? "You should always upgrade because blah
blah", I ca not imagine nobody wrote such an article yet. And if not;
write one yourself :) Maybe linking to that article from the postgresql
documentation, if the need is felt...

Just my thoughts on this matter,
b^4

Сообщение: Re: should we have a separate page that clearly defines what a minor release is and why it's a good idea to keep up with them?