Re: Warning about LISTEN names

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Warning about LISTEN names
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:
>
>> I'll save the full rant for my blog :), but wanted to submit this documentation
>> patch for this listen gotcha that's been bugging me for a while. I'd like
>> to see LISTEN and NOTIFY changed to use a simple text string, but until then,
>> I think we should probably warn about the chopping off of the left-hand part.
>>

> Let's change it to a plain ColId, so you get a syntax error if you try
> that.

Makes sense.

I'm still going to try to get notification payloads done for 8.3, which
will remove any requirement of catalog support and do it all in shared
memory.

Should we perhaps support a variant that allows a string as opposed to
an identifier as the name?

  LISTEN
'really_really_really_really_really_really_really_really_really_really_really_really_long_name'
;

Or is that just silly? ;-)

cheers

andrew