Re: Missing directory when building 8.2.3-base

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Missing directory when building 8.2.3-base
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Hammond wrote:
> On Feb 12, 5:16 pm, j...@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
>
>> Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>>> Most of the core team is convinced that the postgresql-foo tarballs are
>>> useless, but Marc insists on keeping them.  But since they are nearly
>>> useless, no one tests them, so it is not surprising that they don't
>>> work.
>>>
>> Why do we keep them again? I can't recall at any point in the life of
>> CMD us ever using the -foo tarballs. Not to mention they just take up space.
>>
>> Let's dump them.
>>

> The FreeBSD database/postgres* ports depend on them. Which is probably
> why Marc insists on keeping them.

Well, I think that's a horrid dependency to have. Other packaging
systems (e.g. the RPM builds) seem quite able to split up a single
unified build into multiple packages - what can't FBSD? What would we do
if some other packaging system wanted to ask us for a different split?

cheers

andrew