Re: Change sort order on UUIDs?

От Michael Glaesemann
Тема Re: Change sort order on UUIDs?
Дата
Re: Change sort order on UUIDs?  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Jun 14, 2007, at 19:04 , mark@mark.mielke.cc wrote:

> For UUID, I
> would value random access before sequential performance. Why would
> anybody scan UUID through the index in "sequential" order?

AIUI, to allow UUID columns to be indexed using BTREE, there needs to
be some ordering defined. So regardless of what this ordering is,
doesn't there need to be some order? And as a (primary?) purpose of
UUIDs is to be (universally) unique, and the implementation of
uniqueness constraints in PostgreSQL is based on BTREE indexes, this
makes the necessity of ordering doubly so. Or have I missed something?

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net