Re: Index ANDing & Index ORing

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Index ANDing & Index ORing
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hiltibidal, Robert wrote:
> Keep in mind that 2/3 of the inserts are actual log entries. 1/3 are for
> supporting information like ip, query string values etc.
>
> The table is a "star" table.
>
> You are correct tho in terms of time.. When I did the same application
> with fpc pascal (http://www.freepascal.org) and MS SQL 2000 I averaged
> over 700 inserts a second on a Compaq DL380 with 2 gb ram and dual 1.3
> ghz processors. 15000 rpm scsi hard drives in a raid 5 config.
>
> The different there is MS SQL 2000 allows transaction logging to be
> turned off. I think the transaction logging presents a "speed bump"

If you can batch things into transactions of 2+ inserts (up to say 5000)
you'll find things go much faster. The limiting factor should be (as you
say) the speed of committing the transaction log.

Failing that, try having the WAL on its own disks, with battery-backed
write cache too.

Failing that, you can turn fsync off, but don't complain if the power
fails and your database gets corrupted.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd