Re: PostgreSQL/FireBird

От Tony Caduto
Тема Re: PostgreSQL/FireBird
Дата
Список pgsql-general
RPK wrote:
> How is FireBird rated when compared with PostgreSQL?

I used to be a big time user of Firebird, but then I discovered
PostgreSQL and have never looked back.
Firebird has only a few built in functions even the simple ones are
missing. To get the built in
functionality of PostgreSQL's built in functions, you have to use UDFs
compiled in C,C++ or Delphi/Kylix/Free Pascal.
Many times these UDFs are unstable and can crash the whole server.

Firebird also uses a single file for the database that must be
referenced like this:
192.168.23.45:c:\program files\data\mydatabase.fdb
There is no transaction log, no way to do log shipping etc.
This is nice for a embedded system, but not for a robust enterprise
class database.
They do have the ability to set alias for the connection path, but it's
a manual setup process in the conf file.

Firebird as of 2.x still does not have temp tables and it is limited to
one stored proc language.

If need a embedded database Firebird is a good choice, however if you
want a serious database that can compete
with Oracle or M$ SQL server then look no further than PostgreSQL :-)

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

От: "Harpreet Dhaliwal"
Сообщение: Re: Defining and Using variables in a postgres function
От: "Merlin Moncure"
Сообщение: sql formatter/beautifier