Re: Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQL branches

От Ron Mayer
Тема Re: Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQL branches
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Bill Moran wrote:
> Does the PostgreSQL project have any similar policy about EoLs?

Is it a question for community support, or for various
commercial vendor's support policies?

How long companies selling "postgresql support" support each
release could be one of the more important characteristics
that differentiates one vendor from another.

I think it would be useful on postgresql.org's professional
support pages to list such policies like "company X supports
version 7.2 through 2007; 8.0 through 2009" etc.   Do any
of the support organizations besides Red Hat specify how
long they'll support particular versions?

If you're asking about community support I'd hope the
answer is "so long as supporting them is a good use of
the community's time when compared to other work".  Since
understanding failure modes over long periods of time is
probably of great interest for database developers one
could guess that this means old versions will be supported
as long as they're pretty similar to the newest version.