Re: Speaking of upgrades... (was Re: Predicted ...)

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Speaking of upgrades... (was Re: Predicted ...)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>>> The changes are usually very subtle, like changes in the storage format
>>> for certain data types, or bit changes in the row headers --- it isn't
>>> something really of interest except to developers.
>
> Ah, too low-level to make it into the relnotes.
>
> What are your plans for reducing the number of resources needed to
> upgrade databases?

There will be a time, some time in the future that in place upgrades
will be available. In fact there was very little changes that made it
necessary from 8.1 to 8.2.

However, that being said, the best way to get it done is to either start
a project to do it, join a project to do it, or help sponsor a project
to do it.

The reality is, as much as a few like to shout that it is something that
must happen (in place upgrades) it is amazing how little work happens
from those people to have it happen.

Please note that I am not speaking about you directly, just that I find
that if something needs to happen, it will. In place upgrades hasn't
happen yet.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Сообщение: Re: Speaking of upgrades... (was Re: Predicted ...)
Сообщение: Re: Speaking of upgrades... (was Re: Predicted ...)