Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Teodor Sigaev wrote:
>
>>> This might be a good idea, but it's hardly transparent; it can be
>>> counted on to break the applications of just about everyone using those
>>> modules today.
>>>
>> Hmm, can we make separate schema for all contib modules and include it
>> in default search_path? It will not touchs most users.
>>

> Oh now that is interesting... something like a contrib schema that
> everything is loaded into? That would would work nicely and removes a
> lot of problems.
>
> People can use the modules if they want, they don't have to enable the
> functions but they aren't in the way of their app or db either.

I think I'd rather have one schema per module than one for all of
contrib, but maybe the addition to the search path makes a single schema
more sensible.

Another approach to backwards compatibility issue, perhaps, would have 2
install scripts per module, one that installs stuff in the public schema
for legacy purposes, and one that uses a dedicated schema.

cheers

andrew

От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module
От: "Simon Riggs"
Сообщение: Implied Functional index use (redux)