Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

>>> The problem with this proposal is that the ISPs aren't the ones running
>>> configure --- these days, most people are running prebuilt packages
>>> (RPMs or DEBs or what have you).  So what you are hoping is that the
>>> packagers will choose to do this and thereby force these modules into
>>> the "standard" configuration for everybody using their packages.  I'm
>>> not sure that the packagers will change ... well maybe Gentoo will,
>>> but not anyone with more conservative policies ... and I'm pretty sure
>>> any who do will get push-back from people who still won't trust contrib.
>>
>> Well perhaps it is time to trim Contrib even further. E.g;
>>
>> Why is ltree still in contrib? What prevents it from being in core?
>
> we have several requests to improve ltree, particularly, people want
> to expand class of allowed symbols and configurable separator, which is
> hard-coded right now. Also, we discussed GiN support for ltree.

O.k. but how does that prevent it from being in core?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

От: Oleg Bartunov
Сообщение: Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module
Сообщение: Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module