Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion
Дата
Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion  (Naz Gassiep <naz@mira.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>> Teodor Sigaev wrote:
>>
>>> If there aren't objections then we plan commit patch tomorrow or
>>> after tomorrow.
>>>
>> I still haven't heard any argument for why this would be necessary or
>> desirable at all, other than that it looks better for marketing
>> reasons, which I will counter by saying that it looks worse for
>> marketing reasons because our hailed plugin mechanism is apparently so
>> poor that it can't support some practical extension module such as
>> this.
>>

> Of which I will counter that we don't have a hailed plugin mechanism. We
> have a contrib which professionals generally consider untested and not
> part of PostgreSQL.
>
> I am constantly running into this:
>
> Q. Does PostgreSQL have full text indexing?
> A. Yes it is in contrib.
> Q. But that isn't part of core.
> A. *sigh*
>
> Where on the website can I see what "plugins" are included with PostgreSQL?
>
> Where on the website can I see the Official PostgreSQL Documentation for
> Full Text Indexing?
>
> With TSearch2 in core will that fix the many upgrade problems associated
> with using TSearch2?

contrib is a horrible misnomer. Can we maybe bite the bullet and call it
something else?

cheers

andrew

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion