Re: send password to pg_dump

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: send password to pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
shaunc wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to run pg_dump programmatically, and I'm wondering how I can send
> it a password.
>
> I'm running it with a system() call in a child process, and sending the
> password in from the parent process on stdin, but somehow pg_dump always
> finds out how to ask my terminal for a password. How do I fool it?
>
> (I need this to work in linux... in python would be preferable too.)

1. this is the wrong forum for this question - here we discuss
postgresql developments, not usage
2. use a pgpass file, possibly with a PGPASSFILE environment setting as
well - see the docs for details. This works on all platforms and should
work with anything at all calling pg_dump.
3. In general, the only way to "fool" programs properly this way is to
use expect or some equivalent that uses ptys. In this case, it would be
overkill.

cheers

andrew