Re: Installing Postegres side-by-side with M$ SQL server]]

От Paul Lambert
Тема Re: Installing Postegres side-by-side with M$ SQL server]]
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Alban Hertroys wrote:
> Paul Lambert wrote:
>
>> G'day folks,
>>
>> I'm faily new to the world of Postgre so excuse me if these questions seem ignorant.
>>
>> My current employer develops a software package which runs on OpenVMS on HP Alpha/Itanium servers and contains a
custom
>> database comprised of various format text and binary files. I.e. not in a real database engine.
>>

>> Having made a decision to port this SQL server database into Postgre I have a few questions before I get started:
>>

> I was going to suggest running it on OpenVMS, but apparently it isn't
> supported?
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/supported-platforms.html)
>
> I only know the name and that it's supposedly rather reliable. Is it
> much different from your average UNIX?

OpenVMS is an extremely reliable and secure operating system... it has a
small few similarities to your Unix variants in terms of the interface,
but only slight ones. In terms of the programming landscape on a system
level, theres almost nothing common between Unix and OpenVMS. I would
love a port of Postgres to OpenVMS - but I guess we all have unfulfilled
dreams don't we :)

I'd imagine there aren't too many VMS programmers around that would be
willing to port Postgres either, but if anyone out there with experience
in VMS wants to give it a go ;) I don't imagine it would be an easy task
though - not something I'd look forward to doing anyway.

Paul.

От: "Harald Armin Massa"
Сообщение: Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: [ANNOUNCE] == PostgreSQL Weekly News - January 21 2007 ==