Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill

От John Meyer
Тема Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I'd say fine, but why discuss the flaws of MySQL on a PostgreSQL list?
If you want to correct it, why not put that flaw on a MySQL list.  And
yes, I agree, there is a difference between pointing out a legitimate
flaw and simply bashing for bashing's sake.

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> John Meyer wrote:
>> What I think bothers me is this whole concept that if PostgreSQL is to
>> flourish, MySQL has to be beaten down.  Folks, both products are free,
>> both can be used in the same shop (maybe not on the same computer if
>> your running them in production).  Putting down MySQL will not make
>> PostgreSQL any better, or vice versa.
>
> It isn't that simple. There are many on this list that feel that MySQL
> does it *wrong* and frankly uses their marketing prowess to make
> themselves out to be something they are not. The point below is
> extremely valid. MySQL sucks at subselects.
>
> So what is the problem?
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Yeah, and we probably would have sucked about as badly before 7.4 or so.
>>> There's a long way from "having subselects" to being able to optimize
>>> them decently.  AFAIK mysql is still at the "we've got subselects!"
>>> stage ...
>>>
>>>             regards, tom lane
>> TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>>        subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>>        message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Сообщение: Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill
Сообщение: Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill