Help : Microsoft SQL Server equivalents in PostGreSQL

От Benedict Faria
Тема Help : Microsoft SQL Server equivalents in PostGreSQL
Дата
Re: Help : Microsoft SQL Server equivalents in PostGreSQL  (dean@brettle.com)
Список pgsql-general
Hello,
my customer, ntl:Telewest is using an open source 'file upload progress
bar' called NeatUpload to help users to upload video files to a MS SQL
database. They want to replace the MS SQL database with
Solaris/PostgreSQL and ZFS.

There is an extension to NeatUpload that enables this to work with MS
SQL Server. I emailed the author of this extension to ask how easy it
would be to replace MS SQL Server with PostgreSQL. His reply (below)
suggests that I need to use a postgreSQL equivalent for "Updatetext" and
"ReadText" in MS SQL Server. Any pointers on what the PostgreSQL
equivalent is?

Many thanks.

------------------------------- forwarded email
Hi Benedict,
Re: NeatUpload SqlServerInputFile Extension with PostGres in Solaris 10.

In my implementation of SqlServerInputFile I use the commands
"updatetext" and "readtext", which are as far as I know Microsoft SQL
Server specific. If there is an equivalent in postgresql you could use
that instead.

If there is no equivalent commands, it is possible to use "standard" SQL
to do the same task (i.e. writing chunks of a file to a database) but
there is no such code in my code at this point.

If you indend to rewrite the code so that it works, look at the
SqlServerBlobStream class, and the functions GenerateReadCommand and
GenerateWriteCommand. They aer the ones responsible, and has to be
rewritten using neutral SQL language. To make the file upload work you
really only need to fix "GenerateWriteCommand".

If you manage to make it work I'd love to take a look at it! I've never
used postGreSQL, although I've read quite a lot about it. I think I even
have some 6 months old installation files here somewhere I never had
time to use... ;)
Any further questions, please ask.
Best regards / med vänlig hälsning
Joakim Wennergren, Hitone Nordic AB
Tel: +46 8 556 18 754, Fax: +46 8 556 18 755, Mobile: +46 70 191 42 59

On 1/17/07, *Benedict Faria* <Benedict.Faria@sun.com