Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Postgres and really huge tables

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Postgres and really huge tables
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Brian Hurt wrote:
> Is there any experience with Postgresql and really huge tables?  I'm
> talking about terabytes (plural) here in a single table.  Obviously the
> table will be partitioned, and probably spread among several different
> file systems.  Any other tricks I should know about?
>
> We have a problem of that form here.  When I asked why postgres wasn't
> being used, the opinion that postgres would "just <explicitive> die" was
> given.  Personally, I'd bet money postgres could handle the problem (and
> better than the ad-hoc solution we're currently using).  But I'd like a
> couple of replies of the form "yeah, we do that here- no problem" to
> wave around.

It entirely depends on the machine and how things are accessed. In
theory you could have a multi-terabyte table but my question of course
is why in the world would you do that? That is what partitioning is for.

Regardless, appropriate use of things like partial indexes should make
it possible.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/