Re: XEON familiy 5000, 5100 or 5300?

От Shane Ambler
Тема Re: XEON familiy 5000, 5100 or 5300?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Philippe Lang wrote:

> If I'm not wrong, a single postgresql sql query cannot be spread over
> two processors, but can it be spread over multiple cores? If that's

No - a *core* is another cpu, basically you will have 2 or 4 cpu's in
the one physical package.

HT creates 2 virtual cpu's sharing the same cpu resources but the cores
are seperate cpu's in themselves.

The Quad-core will only benefit you more if you have more users running
queries at the same time. Each core can run a query at the same time
without slowing the others down (allowing for disk access/FSB limits).

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@007Marketing.com

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz