Re: Autovacuum Improvements

От Matthew T. O'Connor
Тема Re: Autovacuum Improvements
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> To be frank, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.  I'm
> sure more analysis is good; that's easy to agree with.
>
> However, I don't want to be trapped in a design that's too hard to
> implement, or too hard for DBAs to manage.

+1

 > There have been proposals to add these knobs:
> - maximum number of simultaneous processes (and make it more than 1)
> - times of day on which to change parameters (i.e. disable vacuum
>   altogether, or make it more agressive or less)

Of all the autovacuum improvement discussions that I've seen recently
the one additional knob that sounds like a good idea to me is a way to
specify "HOT" tables that get special attention from autovacuum.  There
has been a lot of conjecture as to a good implementation, and I don't
have a position on that, but I do think it's a good idea.