Re: Advice needed on using postgres in commercial product

От Walter Vaughan
Тема Re: Advice needed on using postgres in commercial product
Дата
Список pgsql-general
pakt sardines wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    We're currently developing some large-scale software with the
> intention of selling it (online and off-the-shelf).  The version in
> development uses Postgres to store stuff in a number of large databases.
>
> Ignoring potential licensing issues for now, the big issue for us is
> that the data in the databases has significant intellectual property
> value.  It has taken literally years of work to collect the data.  We do
> not want the users of the commercial product to be able to fire up
> postgres and type something like:  user]% pg_dump their_data > our_product

So you don't trust your customers.

Then the honest thing to do then is not give them the raw data. I hate the idea
of *buying* sofware and then being told I can't use the software I bought in any
fashion I need, rather than what the developer thinks I need.

If the data is valuable, then stop acting like its 1994.

Do the whole thing as web service. If you really got to have something to
install from a CD, just make it a link back to your web server.

Invest money in a quality server environment for the customer, rather than
locking the data from your customer. If it took you years to collect this
information, make the requirement to use it a web enabled device...

Do you really want to deal with support questions about postgresql
installation/support/upgrades/bugs/versions/OS's/etc... ?

--
Walter