Re: High update activity, PostgreSQL vs BigDBMS

От Guy Rouillier
Тема Re: High update activity, PostgreSQL vs BigDBMS
Дата
Re: High update activity, PostgreSQL vs BigDBMS  (Shane Ambler <pgsql@007Marketing.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Craig A. James wrote:
> I don't know if you have access to the application's SQL, or the time to
> experiment a bit, but unless your schema is trival and your SQL is
> boneheaded simple, you're not going to get equal performance from
> Postgres until you do some analysis of your application under real-world
> conditions, and optimize the problem areas.

Craig, thanks for taking the time to think about this.  Yes, I have all
the application source code, and all the time in the world, as I'm doing
this experimentation on my own time.  The test hardware is old stuff no
one intends to use for production work ever again, so I can use it as
long as I want.

The application is fairly straightforward, but as you say, what is
working okay with BigDBMS isn't working as well under PG.  I'm going to
try other configuration suggestions made by others before I attempt
logic changes.  The core logic is unchangeable; millions of rows of data
in a single table will be updated throughout the day.  If PG can't
handle high volume updates well, this may be brick wall.

--
Guy Rouillier