Re: pg_dump question

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: pg_dump question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I've created a database (pgsql 8.1 on Debian Etch) that uses
> triggers/functions to keep all changes for various tables in a history
> schema. This is the first time I've done this (captured and stored
> changes in a different schema) so I was hoping for some backup/restore
> advice.
>
>   As far as I can tell, you can only dump one schema at a time. Is this
> true?

No, pg_dump dumps a whole database by default. You can dump just a
single schema or table though.

 > If so, can I dump 'public' first and then append the dump of
> 'history' to the same file and be okay?

No, someone might have updated public in-between.

 > Also, when I restore from this
> file, can I prevent the triggers from running just during the reload of
> the data?

Yes, there's a command-line setting when doing a data-only restore. When
doing a full restore (schema+data) this is done for you.

Try the page below or "man pg_dump"/"man pg_restore" for full details:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/reference-client.html

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd