Re: More 8.2 client issues (Was: [Slow dump?)

От Erik Jones
Тема Re: More 8.2 client issues (Was: [Slow dump?)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
> Erik Jones <erik@myemma.com> writes:
>
>> Guillaume Smet wrote:
>>
>>> Could you set log_min_duration_statement=0 on your server and enable
>>>

>> Heh, unfortunately, setting log_min_duration_statement=0 would be a
>> total last resort as the last we counted (2 months ago) we were doing
>> approximately 3 million transactions per hour.
>>

> Do it just for the pg_dump:
>
>     export PGOPTIONS="--log_min_duration_statement=0"
>     pg_dump ...
>
> I don't think that the regex issue explains pg_dump being slow,
> unless perhaps you are making use of the table-selection switches?

That's a good idea, but first I'll still need to run it by my sysadmin
wrt space -- our dump files are around 22GB when we can let them finish
these days.  We do have plans to move off of the dump to a snapshot
backup strategy that will eventually lead to a PITR  warm-standby setup
but, first, we want to make sure we have a stable, fast, up-to-date
server -- our web servers are still connecting to the db via 8.1.4
client libs as given what we've seen of the track record for 8.2. client
libs on our setup, we're bit reticent to move the rest of the
application over.  While I wait to see what we can do about logging
everything during the dump I'll  probably  build 8.2 on a remote linux
machine and see how  connecting via those tools compares.

--
erik jones <erik@myemma.com>
software development

От: "Jeremy Haile"
Сообщение: Performance of PostgreSQL on Windows vs Linux
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: More 8.2 client issues (Was: [Slow dump?)