Re: superuser authentication?

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: superuser authentication?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Bill Moran wrote:

> Personally, I'd set auth to password, then keep the password in a file in
> root's home directory and set it readable by root only.  If an attacker can
> read that file, he already doesn't need to.
>
> This does mean that you'll have to carefully secure the script you use to
> make backups, since they'll need to have the password in them.  But you'll
> need to carefully secure your backups anyway or all the other security is
> rather pointless.

I'd run it as a non-root backup-specific user. That way if someone
compromises the backup process they're limited in the amount of damage
they can do (since the user will only have write access to a few
directories). Also makes auditing easier if you're that way inclined.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd