Re: order by text-type : whitespaces ignored??

От peter pilsl
Тема Re: order by text-type : whitespaces ignored??
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote:
> peter pilsl wrote:
>>
>> I just get my mind crossed here:
>>
>> I do a simple select with order on a text-type. In my opinion entries
>> with leading spaces should be either first (or maybe last) in the list.
>> But in my select the whitespace just seems to be ignored:
>
> That'll be down to your locale settings. You'll need to re-initdb to
> change them I'm afraid. It's locale=C that you want.

thnx - I cant mess up with my locale-setting cause I also need postgres to sort
proper german umlauts stored as unicode, which was a difficult task to set up
years ago. I had to use de_AT.UTF-8 to get what I want. If I change to locale=C
again, I'll sure run into my old problems again:

http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread173467.html  (you have participated in
that thread also - thnx a lot for your help !!)

/usr/local/pgsql8/bin/pg_controldata /data/postgres/postgres8 | grep LC
LC_COLLATE:                           de_AT.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE:                             de_AT.UTF-8

I just shipped around my current problem by sorting by replace(traeger,' ','0')
which of course is not very cool, cause it will end up strange as soon as other
entries have 0 in their text, but I cant think of anything else right now.

I still find correct sorting a difficult thing to do in postgres :)

thnx
peter

--
mag. peter pilsl - goldfisch.at