Re: ALTER TABLE RENAME and primary key

От Raymond O'Donnell
Тема Re: ALTER TABLE RENAME and primary key
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 9 Dec 2006 at 18:22, brian wrote:

> I'd like to rename a table but am unsure how this will affect the
> primary key. That is, the table currently being named 'service', it has a
> pkey named 'service_id_pkey'. I'd like to change the table name to
> 'service_provider' (which would mean i'd get 'service_provider_id_pkey').

I just tried it on 8.2, and it seems that renaming the table doesn't
rename the primary key index - you have to do it explicitely.

> There's a second table that has a foreign key constraint on
> service_id_pkey, so do i need to drop that constraint first, rename the
> first table, then re-create the constraint using the new pkey name?

Without having tried it, I don't think so - my understanding is that
database objects are represented internally as OIDs, so renaming the
object changes only the name and not the OID.

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell
Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Galway, Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Сообщение: Re: drop role with privileges
Сообщение: Re: drop role with privileges