pg_dump: a way to not dump indexes and other objects, or a way to not create them on restore, feature request?

От Glen Parker
Тема pg_dump: a way to not dump indexes and other objects, or a way to not create them on restore, feature request?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,

Since PITR works well, my use of pg_dump has shifted.  Rather than using
it as a backup tool, I now use it as a snapshotting tool.  At the end of
each  month we do an ASCII dump to keep around, so if we ever need to,
we can see the data as it was any number of months or years ago.  Not a
backup at all, just a raw data archive.

These archives do not need to hold all our data, for example, system
logs would be useless later.  There also is no reason to include
indexes.  Ignoring extranious tables and indexes is a great way to keep
the archive small and keep the time to restore as low as possible.

So, it would be great if pg_dump could accept some sort of argument to
make it simply not dump certain types of objects.  Indexes, views,
functions, etc.

Thx for considering :-)

-Glen Parker