Re: Male/female

От Madison Kelly
Тема Re: Male/female
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jorge Godoy wrote:

>> Yes, but further I don't know of any country that recognizes anything
>> but Male or Female.
>
> I haven't read the beginning of the thread, but will this table be used only
> for humans?  There are animals that are hermafrodites (I hope I got the
> English correct...) or whose sex is only identifiable after a period of time
> (days or months, usually).
>
> So, for researchers it would be interesting to have more options.
>
> Also, if you're doing statistics on something where the sexual option (and
> transgerderness) is important, then there should be some way to point that.

Some people argue that gender is a spectrum. If you want to be very
inclusive. Maybe you could use a 'float' and stick with 0 = woman, 1 =
man (self documenting after all) with the option of '0.1 - 0.9' for
people who feel "in between". How efficient is 'float'? This would also
work for animals that fall outside then normal male/female designation.

Madi