Re: The relative stability of different procedural languages

От Tony Caduto
Тема Re: The relative stability of different procedural languages
Дата
Список pgsql-general
BigSmoke wrote:
> On Dec 7, 11:07 pm, mmonc...@gmail.com ("Merlin Moncure") wrote:
>
>> On 7 Dec 2006 14:02:53 -0800, BigSmoke <bigsm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm facing a particular task for which I need any procedural language
>>> but PL/PgSQL. I can't use PL/PgSQL because it doesn't allow me to use
>>> local variables such as new and old from a dynamic command.
>>>

>> could you clarify what you are trying to do and why pl/pgsql cant do it?
>>

> I'm dealing with a trigger function which needs to check the nullness
> of a column in 'new' and 'old'. The catch is that the trigger function
> needs to take the name of that column as an argument. (I've tried a
> kludge which stores 'new' and 'old' in a temporary table, but this
> kludge seems too unreliable to trust.)

Why can't you just use something like this:

IF new.yourcolumnname IS NULL THEN

END IF;

I test for null in PLpgsql all the time.

Am I missing something?

Later,

Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com
Your best bet for Postgresql Administration

От: "BigSmoke"
Сообщение: Re: The relative stability of different procedural
От: Alan Hodgson
Сообщение: Re: loading data, creating indexes, clustering, vacuum...