Re: Indexes and Inheritance

От Erik Jones
Тема Re: Indexes and Inheritance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Keary Suska wrote:
> Thanks to Erik, Jeff, & Richard for their help.
>
> I have a further inheritance question: do child tables inherit the indexes
> created on parent columns, or do they need to be specified separately for
> each child table? I.e., created via CREATE INDEX.
>
> I assume at least that the implicit index created by a primary key would
> inherit, but I don't know if that assumption is safe.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Keary Suska
> Esoteritech, Inc.
> "Demystifying technology for your home or business"

No.  In addition, child tables do not inherit primary keys.  Think of it
like this: if you did a \d to describe a table that you were going to
use as a parent table in an inheritance chain, the child table would get
everything in the table listing the columns but nothing beneath the table.

--
erik jones <erik@myemma.com>
software development

От: Scott Marlowe
Сообщение: Re: Vote for your favorite database
От: Jeff Davis
Сообщение: Re: Online index builds